Access key links:
The timber framed hall house, listed Grade 1, dates from c.1460. It occupies the site of an earlier building, probably that of the Bereford 'court within a moat' of the 1336 survey, believed to have been the same for which John de Plessis had received gifts of oaks for building from Henry III in c.1240.
Although many modifications have been made in the period of more than five hundred years, most of the early construction remains.
In 1979 the discovery of some late C17 wall paintings behind inserted walls led to the removal of external rendering from the front and south side of the house, thus exposing the timber frame. During the replacement of two main timbers further discoveries initiated the removal of other predominantly late C19 and early C20 adaptations that led to yet more revelations.
Over the following years other manifestations have added to the numerous visible, historic features, and much knowledge has been gained.
The house is used annually by English Heritage for the practical day of the University of Oxford Building Survey Week for mature students.
It is a family home and is occasionally open to the public. Conducted tours can be arranged by written application only, to Mrs Rachel Jacques, The Manor, Chalgrove, OXFORD, OX44 7SL. The normal rate is £12 per head but there is a minimum charge of £85, and groups are limited to 24 in number. Tours normally take approximately 2 hours.
Access to the first floor is by stairs with handrails on both sides, to the second floor by a narrow, winding staircase with a handrail on the left, and then to the roof of the hall by way of a short crawl past the inserted chimney.